- Public Works
- Trash, Recycling & Yard Waste
Trash, Recycling & Yard Waste
As of April 2019, the City of Crestwood contracts with Waste Connections for solid waste, recycling, and yard waste disposal, at one low price. This allows all residents an opportunity to conveniently dispose of their wastes. The City examined all options and determined a billing system has the lowest overall cost and convenience for residents. Each resident must establish solid waste service with Waste Connections. Please contact Waste Connections at 636-321-2100 to establish a solid waste collection.
All containers should be placed at the curb after 4:30 p.m. the evening before scheduled pickup and no later than 7:00 a.m. on your collection day. All items will be picked up by 6:00 p.m. except under unusual circumstances. Trash containers must be removed from the curb by 8:00 p.m. the day of the scheduled pickup.
All items (household rubbish, yard waste and recyclables) are collected on the same day, but not at the same time. There will be three different trucks to collect your waste materials. The pickup scheduled is determined by designated area routes as follows: See map to determine your area.
- Area 1: Monday
- Area 2: Tuesday
- Area 3: Thursday
- Area 4: Friday
If you are unsure of your area, please contact the Department of Public Works at 314-729-4720.
Disabled Resident Valet Trash Service
For disabled residents that need assistance with getting their trash to the curb, Waste Connections does provide a Disabled Resident Valet Trash Service. The disabled resident must be a minimum of 18 years of age or older AND provide a signed doctor’s note stating their disability. The City of Crestwood City Clerk’s office accepts the application and will then forward the information to Waste Connections who will provide the service at the newly designated location within a few weeks. If you qualify and wish this service, please fill out the Disabled Resident Valet Trash Application.
Trash, Recycling & Yard Waste Education Center
Waste Connections observes six holidays per year:
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
On a week when there is an observed holiday, each pick-up day will be serviced just one day later. For example, as Memorial Day always takes place on a Monday, during that week, Monday pick-up will be provided on Tuesday, Tuesday pickup will be on Wednesday, and so on.
Bulk Items (Furniture, Appliances, Tires, etc)
Contact Waste Connections at (636) 321-2100 to schedule pick-up service for bulky items. There will be one, free bulk pick-up per month from January through October. These will take place on the third pick-up day of each month. Please schedule all bulk and white good pick-ups, including free items, with Waste Connections at least 24 hours in advance. These items include household furnishings such as mattresses, sofas, chairs and other large items that can be easily and safely handled by two men.
Large household appliances such as refrigerators, freezers, washers and dryers, water heaters, trash compactors, dishwashers, microwave ovens, stoves, and air conditioners will be picked up by appointment only and are subject to a $20-25 charge. For appliances, you must remove doors or secure doors with strapping tape and place it door down on the curb.
Tires, Automotive Supplies
Motor vehicle tires, trailer tires and lead-acid batteries are not picked up under this program. Please dispose of these items at your local car repair dealer when replacing tires and car batteries.
Waste Connections-Senior Discount
Waste Connections administers a general discount for seniors 65 years of age or older. The 10% discount on standard services for seniors is only available by calling Waste Connections directly at (636)-321-2100 and getting approval through them. The City of Crestwood DOES NOT administer this program.
City of Crestwood-Low Income Trash Application for Senior and/or Disabled Residents
The City of Crestwood DOES administer this program; all paperwork should be submitted to the City of Crestwood City Clerk’s office. This program allows the resident to pay roughly 30% of the standard rate. To qualify for this specific program:
SENIOR RESIDENTS must be at least the age of 60 years old or older AND must qualify for the “Low Income Threshold” as determined by St. Louis County*.
DISABLED RESIDENTS must be a minimum of 18 years of age or older, must provide a doctor’s note stating their disability AND must qualify for the “Low Income Threshold” as determined by St. Louis County*.
* “Low Income Threshold” as determined by St. Louis County: The low income threshold in 2021 was around $43,050 for a one-person household and $49,200 for a two-person household. Please ask for assistance if there are additional persons in your household. Note: This must include income from all income sources. If you qualify and wish this service, please fill out the Low Income Trash Application for Senior and/or Disabled Residents application.
Yard waste includes: grass, clippings, leaves, yard/garden vegetation, weeds and branches. Roots or shrubs containing root balls are not accepted. Yard waste is collected only when placed in proper containers for pickup.
The following are options:
- Yard waste may be placed in 30 gallon heavy duty paper bags. These bags can withstand certain degrees of moisture but work best if kept out of the elements. Such bags are available for purchase at local hardware and grocery retailers. Bags are not for sale at City Hall or through Waste Connections.
- Yard waste may also be placed in an unlined trash can for pickup. It is recommended that this container is clearly marked with “yard waste” in large letters. The City does have some "yard waste" signs for this particular type of can.
- If brush is too large for an above container, it may be bundled with fiber twine. Each bundle must be no larger than 4 feet in length by 18 inches in diameter and may not weigh more than 60 pounds.
- Christmas trees are the only exception to the rule. Real trees will be collected providing the tree is free of all decorations including tinsel, garland, ornaments and lights.
Recycling must be contained inside an identified recycling cart.
Below are a few recycling tips for your property:
- Don’t bag grass clippings, recycle them. Mow your grass when it is dry and only 3-4 inches tall. Never cut it shorter than 2 inches. Avoid over-fertilizing your lawn with commercial chemicals. Let the decomposing grass clippings fertilize it naturally. Keep your mower blade sharp or use a mulching mower.
- Create a backyard compost. Composting can turn yard waste into a valuable soil conditioner. A compost pile should be at least 3 feet by 3 feet by 3 feet in size, but no larger than 5 feet cubed. Place your waste in the compost pile in layers-leaves, grass, etc. To aerate the pile, turn it once a month and add water if it is dry. Never try to compost just grass. Never add meat, bones, grease, large branches, lumber or dog and cat waste to your compost pile.
- Pre-recycle when purchasing items. Think ahead about whether or not the item’s packaging can be recycled. Look for containers that can be reused or recycled, like aluminum or glass. Try to purchase products that can be used again and again.
- Set up a recycling plan at home. Become aware of what you throw away. Decide how much space you have for storage and what items you most need to recycle. Keep your plan manageable and start off with only a few items.
According to the Crestwood City Code, paper grocery bags, cardboard boxes, and lidless metal drums are not acceptable solid waste containers. Trash containers should be no less than 5 gallons and no more than 95 gallons in capacity. They must be leak-proof, waterproof, and fitted with lids. Residents have the option of contracting with Waste Connections for 95-gallon containers to be used for trash service. Approved types of containers include galvanized metal, rubber, fiberglass, and plastic bags with a 2-millimeter thickness.
You may either purchase your own trash, yard waste, and recycling containers (from a retail outlet, i.e. Home Depot or Walmart) or you may call Waste Connections to set up the rental of these containers at a price of $3 per container, per month. Please note, the City no longer has free containers to distribute to residents.
All Yard Waste and Recycling Containers must be clearly marked containers.