Parks Master Plan
Starting in late 2021, the City of Crestwood began the process of their first-ever comprehensive Parks Master Plan. In January 2023, the preliminary plan was presented to the public for the first time at the Tuesday, January 17 Park Board meeting. To view the initial copy of the Parks Master Plan, and to be able to provide feedback, please click on the link below:
What is a Parks Master Plan?
This community-based Parks Master Plan aims to identify improvements to the entire Crestwood Parks and Recreation Department, including City parks and facilities, recreation programing, potential capital improvements, and much more. This Plan will be used to help guide the City as it makes park improvements for the next 10-15 years.
The Parks Master Plan objectives include:
- Identifying current conditions in the parks;
- Identifying needed improvements;
- Exploring development scenarios to address the needs and desires of the community;
- Evaluating the Community Center and Aquatic Center;
- Exploring connectivity of biking/hiking in the area;
- Developing a budget for the proposed project and development scenarios; and
- Identifying priorities and strategies for funding park improvements.
Master Plan Timeline
This comprehensive document was created after a year of public engagement, formal surveying and work on the part of the Park Board, City staff, elected officials, consultants and the community. Below are a timeline of the various steps in the Master Plan process:
- October 2021 - City issued a Request for Proposal (RFP)
- November 2021 - Board of Aldermen approved Vireo - a Kansas City based landscape architecture, community planning and design firm - as the Parks Master Plan consultant
- Spring 2022 - Vireo met with the Master Plan Steering Committee - as well as Focus Groups - to help direct the initial steps of the project
- Spring 2022 - Vireo and the City hosted open houses to discuss the Master Plan, with hundreds of residents sharing their input at said events, including:
- March 9, 2022 - An open house at the Crestwood Community Center, specifically for the Parks Master Plan
- May 14, 2022 -The second open house at the 75th Anniversary Concert and Movie Night
- May 27, 2022 - The third open house at the Aquatic Center Splashtacular
- Spring/Summer 2022 - ETC Institute, in partnership with Vireo, sent out hundreds of surveys throughout the community in order to receive statistically-valid survey results
- Fall/Winter 2022 - Vireo put together their initial draft of the Master Plan, which was reviewed by City staff and Elected Officials for early feedback
- January 2023 - Master Plan was officially presented for the first time to the Park Board on January 17, 2023
- Spring 2023 - After more than a month of feedback from the public, the Board of Aldermen will begin the process of amending and approving the Master Plan
- May 2023 - Parks and Recreation Master Plan is approved by the Board of Aldermen.